Scared of everything!

Scared of everything!

Postby bennyboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Hello,

Every time we walk near a person bouncing, hitting, or kicking any type of ball, Ben gets absolutely terrified and he tries to back up out of his collar and/or tries to pull us home! The same happens when he hears shouts coming from places like schools or sports clubs. He doesn't like children or people shouting. :(
Does anyone else have this problem with their hound?

Thanks
bennyboy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My Greyhounds: Ben :-)

Re: Scared of everything!

Postby hall1070 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Juno appears to be frightened of large lorries when they pass us on the road, but over a period of time I have learned to just put my hand on his back (he is quite tall) and talk to him as they go by.

Have you had your grey long? It may just be self confidence, try not to react yourself as they feel your tension through the lead :)

Sarah
hall1070
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My Greyhounds: Juno (Hollyoak Burdock), Jaz (Jazza) and Toby (Mays Tango) the greys.

Postby bennyboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:17 pm

We've had Ben for about 7 months now and he's always been like this. We try our best to not react when he gets scared but as soon as he hears a ball being hit/bounced, or hears children, his tail tucks right up and he tries to pull us along. He's alright when he walks past quiet children so it's just the high pitched voices that make him scared.

Is Juno fine with lorries now? We're just hoping Ben can overcome his fear soon as its soon summer so more children will be outside and he won't be able to enjoy his walks if he's always scared. :unsure:
bennyboy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Pudnblitz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi we had another dog at the kennels who was scared of balls, a few years ago. He was rehomed and with time and patience he is now a different dog. Just keep doing what you are doing by reassuring him and eventually he should understand that the world isn't as scary as he thinks it is :D
Blitz & Hooch

www.brighton.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk
Pudnblitz
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby hall1070 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:30 pm

I try to ignore Juno when he 'starts' but slow,y he is getting better. I think I said before I now walk him on the inside so he is not so close to the traffic.
I think time, reassurance and patience are the key. We have had Juno almost a year now...it does get better.

Jaz our other grey does still tend to flinch when I raiise my voice at the kids but I have not altered my noise levels as we need her to realise that this is not a bad thing.

Sarah
hall1070
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My Greyhounds: Juno (Hollyoak Burdock), Jaz (Jazza) and Toby (Mays Tango) the greys.

Postby bennyboy » Mon May 06, 2013 7:13 am

Thank you for all the replies, we are now getting into the habit of not reacting when he gets scared. He does seem to be more used to children now. :)
bennyboy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Training & Behaviour Discussion