Help with my greyhound needed urgently...

The cute & not so cute! things our greyhounds do...

Help with my greyhound needed urgently...

Postby harley » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi all,

It's been about 2 years since I last posted on here but some of you may remember me, as I used to go on some of the greyhound walks. I have a greyhound called Jarvis (that I rehomed from the Brighton Retired Greyhound Trust) and a Staffy/Whippet Cross called Iggy that I rehomed from the Dogs Trust.

I live with the dogs and my boyfriend in a flat with a garden in Hove. Up until now, I have had my parents living nearby so whenever myself or my boyfriend were at work/on holiday, my parents could come round and walk and stay with the dogs.

However, recently my parents have moved to a different area so they are not able to pop round as easily and as often as they used to. This has coincided with me getting a job in London so I now commute to London 4 days a week. My boyfriend works 4 days on, 4 days off so the days where we are both at work are going to be very problematic as neither of us will be able to get back to walk/feed the dogs.

It has been a very stressful and difficult time - very upsetting - as we have contemplated the idea of trying to rehome the dogs. However, the thought of that is just too unbearable. We love them so much and the thought of never knowing whether they are ok would be just too difficult to handle.

My parents have decided to take Iggy with them, as she is a very active dog and as they are both retired they can offer her long walks in the countryside. She is used to being with them anyway as when I first rescued her, I lived at home with them.

However, we are keeping Jarvis and so we still have the problem of what to do when we are both at work. Jarvis is such a mild mannered, adorable and easy dog - he's never barked in his life, he just loves to sleep all day on his back with his legs in the air! He is wonderful off the lead - he never runs off or chases anything and just sticks close to your side. I think his running days are well behind him - so he just likes a short quick walk then back to his favourite place... his bed with a pigs ear!

Anyway, sorry for the long message but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good dog walker based in the Brighton & Hove area and/or a doggy day care/kennels in the Brighton & Hove area? I am reluctant to just choose someone at random off the internet so would be extremely grateful if any of you know of some reliable and trustworthy people who could walk/feed Jarvis when we are both at work.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

Many thanks,
Harley
harley
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My Greyhounds: Jarvis (Greyhound)

Re: Help with my greyhound needed urgently...

Postby Pebbles1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 am

Hi Harley, you could try Simon at Happy Feet Sighthound Boarding. Daily dog walking & boarding at home.i have left link for Simon's Facebook page for info. I have left my hound in Simon's capable hands. Good luck.
http://m.facebook.com/HappyFeetDogServi ... uk%2F&_rdr
Pebbles1
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My Greyhounds: Willow

Postby louiseogle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Harley
Due to B&HRGT being on FB i rarely look at this site now and so have only just read your post...I have just messaged a lovely bloke, Simon who owns his own 2 greys and offers walks and boarding facilities in his home. I`m sure he lives somewhere around Brighton. I`m sure he`ll be in contact if he can help out.
I really hope you can get something sorted.
I`m so fond of my girl that I couldn`t bear to part with her for any reason, so I really understand your stress.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you all.

Lou and Lottie x
louiseogle
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My Greyhounds: Lottie (Blushing Rainbow)

Postby hobbit » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Hiya
sorry to hear your news, I am actually in Worthing, so only 20 mins or so away, I do offer walks for all breeds & home from home boarding for sighthounds, I am happy to walk Jarvis, if you e mail or call & we can chat it through

Simon

Happy Feet Sighthound Boarding (FB page)
simon.redhead2@ntlworld.com
01903 523003
hobbit
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby harley » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Firstly I would just like to thank Pebbles1, Louise and Simon for their helpful replies... sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

Shortly after I wrote this plea for help my circumstances changed and my parents took Jarvis (and they already had Iggy with them) - so both dogs were staying with them in their big house and garden and were having a great time going for daily walks in the countryside.

I still saw the dogs as much as I could but with my full-time commute to London and my partner's long working hours, it made sense that my parents had the dogs full-time.

Therefore, I didn't need to follow-up on your kind advice about getting a dog walker etc as the problem had been solved.

However, tragedy happened a few months ago - my brother killed himself - turning all our lives upside down. As you can probably imagine, the past few months have been utterly unbearable and traumatic. My parents are finding things extremely difficult to deal with understandably and so I have taken back the dogs to our Brighton flat. My parents have said that they just can't have the dogs with them anymore - going for walks where it happened is just too painful and they will probably go travelling as they are finding it impossible to stay living in their house. They just need to escape.

I have had to resign from my job in London as I couldn't commute and work full-time in London what with having the two dogs back in Brighton with me.

I am now in a pretty dire situation and it has taken me a long time to write this message because the thought of what I am about to say is heartbreaking... but I am really struggling with the dogs. With no job, I am rapidly running out of money - my partner works long 12 hour days - so I am unable to get a job at the moment as there is no one at home to look after the dogs and we cannot afford a daily dog sitter/walker, plus I don't think that would be fair on the dogs to leave them for hours every day.

Iggy (Staffy/Whippet cross) is now 9 years old and Jarvis (greyhound) is now 8 years old. I love them with all my heart and I couldn't take them back to the Dog's Trust or Brighton Retired Greyhound Trust where I rehomed them both - however, I am really struggling with what to do as having two dogs and no job and a partner who is out at work for 12 hours a day means that things are pretty impossible.

As much as it breaks my heart, rehoming the dogs seems like the only answer but in order to rehome them, I would need to know who was rehoming them so that I could stay in contact to check that everything was ok with them - I would be happy to continue paying for their upkeep (food etc/vet bills etc) for the rest of their lives.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone on this forum has had any experience of having to sadly rehome their dogs or if anyone knows of anyone looking for dogs?

As I have already said, I cry every day thinking of the thought of having to give them up... I've had them in my life for so many years now... but my brother's suicide has completely pulled my family apart and so by not having my parents to help with the dogs, I am completely stuck in this terrible situation and so if anyone has any words of advice, I would be so very grateful.

Thank you,
Harley
(Jarvis & Iggy)
harley
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My Greyhounds: Jarvis (Greyhound)

Return to Greyhound Owners Discussion